Saturday, October 17, 2009

U2...The Concert


Sarah calls Bono her "soul brother". I just know he has been given a gift and seems to carry a burden to share it with the rest of us.

Bono in the midst of the crowd.
A shot of the whole group at the end of the show.
By the end of the concert, Randy's knees were done. I was tired as well, only remembering when I lay my head on the pillow that night when I went to bed.
Sarah and Greg...Greg took all the other pictures. He did a great job in that huge crowd. It doesn't hurt to be 6'2"!
The camera guys had a definite 'bird's eye" view on one of the legs of the 'spaceship".

Last Wednesday, October 14(Randy's birthday) we(Randy, myself, Sarah, and Greg) went to a concert in Houston. We went to see U2. Anyone hwo halfway knows me , knows that I am a huge fan of that Irish group. One might even say I am fascinated, infatuated, or even have a crush on the lead singer who goes by the name, Bono. How did I become such a dedicated fan to Bono and U2? I would not say it was by accident, but it did start out circumstantial.

Randy is the original U2 fan of this family. He has enjoyed them since they began growing in popularity in the early 80's. Sarah has loved them since she was a young teenager. I knew of their music, but did not know much more.

In the spring of 05, Sarah called to tell us they were coming to Houston. Randy gave her permission to purchase 4 tickets. I was not even intersted in going. The plans were for Randy, Sarah, and perhaps our 2 boys. Sarah had not began dating Greg yet. The concert was not until October. When October rolled around, it was understood that Sarah, Randy, and now Greg would be going. Daniel did not want to go(Go figure). Our oldest son, Jacob, was to be in the number 4 spot. It turned out that he could not make it, so I was up. I felt bad that I did not recognize a lot of their songs or know the words. I left there wanting to know more about the group whose songs had lyrics that spoke to me.

As is the norm for me whe I want to know more about anything, I turned to Google. I researched lyrics and Bono. I learned that Bono wrote most of the lyrics to the songs and that he is a great activist and humanitarian. I bought all their CD's, and thus my admiration began to grow.

Now that I have given you the background of my U2 attachment, I will fast forward to last Wednesday's concert. It was scheduled for 7 PM. The opening band would come on then, so we did not look for U2 until 8 or so. I will insert here that although the opening band was good, I could not help but think I just wanted them to get through and get off the stage for U2. The opening group's name was Muse. I had never heard of them. About a month ago, Sarah burnt 3 songs of theirs for me to listen to. I recognized 2 of them at the show. Again, I just wanted them get finished so we could hear U2. We had waited 4 years for this concert, and we were all ready.

I will continue this post later for we did have some drama before getting into the stadium.




1 comment:

The Mabiles said...

Oooooh... I can't wait for the rest! :p Bono IS my soul brother.