Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Desk

I have always wanted an antique student's school desk. I have looked on Ebay for years and at flea markets. I was never willing to pay what was being asked. Last Wednesday Sarah emailed me at work to tell me she had found one on the local website for used items called Woodlands on line. The people who had it were moving and just wanted to get rid of it. They were asking $35. I told her to get it. I figured it was worth that much even if I had to do some refurbishing. Needless to say, it is beautiful and in great shape. I picked it up Saturday. The craftmanship that went into the desk is hard to believe compared to the way things are massed produced today. It is made of wood and iron, two materials that are long lasting.

The people Sarah got it from bought it at an antique store in Fredricksburg, TX. They did not know anything else about it. I was hoping it had a "story". I am sure it served students very well in its time. I am so happy to give it a new home. I know it will become near and dear to this school teacher's heart. I was not quite sure where to put it. I put it by the front door. Sometimes when you place something, you get that feeling it belonged there. Unfortunately, I do not have that feeling. It will have to grow on me or I will move it. Thanks Sarah for finding this wonderful desk


I placed it by the front door. I am not 100%
happy with that placement.

The seat still folds up.

This is the front. Another desk would have bolted
to it.

This is how it looks with the seat down.

This is a sideview with the seat down. I used
Old English on the wood and cooking oil(Randy's
suggestion) on the iron.

Thinking it looked rather plain. I "falled" it up.
I wonder how long Liam will let it stay like this.

2 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

OMG....I love the desk. It is beautiful.

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I keep coming back to this picture of the desk.........I LOVE IT