Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cousins

My cousin Dennis died Sunday. He was diagnosed with cancer last summer. He would have been 58 in May, so about 9 years older than me. His mother is my mom's sister. He is her and my Uncle Robert's only child. He and his wife were married for 38 years. I was in their wedding as a candle lighter. They have 2 children and 3 grandchildren. It is hard to understand why someone and their family have to suffer a disease and lose their life to it.

He left this earth on a blue skied, sun shiny day. According to everyone there when he left here, he left here with a smile on his face. He had not smiled in months. He smiled and took his last breath. I can't help but believe he saw something or someone that made him smile such a joyous smile. Another cousin commented as he died, "what a beautiful smile". I do not know for sure what is on the other side, but I believe we are greeted by someone or something that welcomes us. I told Randy Sunday night that I wanted to believe he saw my grandparents(my mom's parents). My grandfather died before I was born and my grandmother died before I was 3 so I do not remember her. What is weird is that Monday evening I was talking to my mom on the phone and she mentioned how Dennis had smiled before he died. She said she thought he must have seen someone. I told her I thought it was her mom and dad. She was silent a second and told me she had not told anyone but my dad that she felt the same thing.

Did he see my grandparents? Did he see a sight so glorious that it filled him with joy? Was he just glad to be back home? Only he knows. I will see Dennis again some day. Maybe he will greet me. God be with my family today as we celebrate his life. I pray for comfort to his parents, wife, children, and grandchildren.

1 comment:

Carolina girl said...

Yes, we are greeted by those we know and love who have passed on before us. I imagine it to be like a welcoming party, and I'm sure it is a very happy reunion. I am sorry for your loss. We'll be praying for your family.