Monday, August 9, 2010

Baby Quilts and Baby Blankets

When I was pregnant with my oldest child, Jacob, I embroidered
blocks and made a quilt. It took most of the pregnancy. I really
just slept and sewed through that pregnancy. As I was making
that quilt I told myself that one day that baby would give the
quilt to its baby. The circle of life has turned and that baby will
have a baby girl in October. Yesterday, I went to the shower
and brought the precious quilt. Jacob seemed to be very pleased
when he realized it was his. I brought him home from the
hospital in that quilt.

Jacob's quilt. I worked many hours on it.

Close up of one of the blocks

Two years later, I was expecting another child. With a two
year old to take care of, I just did not have the time to make
as elaborate of a quilt for the new baby. We did not know
what the baby was going to be. A friend had given my some
Pooh curtains and bedding. I used some of the curtains to make
a small little quilt for baby number 2. It ended up being smaller
than I planned and was used as a tummy quilt most of the time.
Sorry Sarah!

Baby number 3, Daniel was a summer baby(July). Not only
did I not have enough time to make a nicer quilt, the thought
of a quilt seem so hot. I made him a seersucker receiving
blanket. I did take him from the hospital in that blanket, and
he looked quite cute in it!

Ten years ago my sister was pregnant with my niece, Skylar.
We were all excited about the coming little girl. I decided to
make her a quilt. Well, I was working and chauffeuring children
night and day. I had good intentions, but just did not finish
the quilt top. I was very close. Randy's daughter Jade, had
Morgan a month later so I thought I would finish it for her...
I did not. I just have had it stored away. I took it out the other
day and realized that only the border needs finishing before
attaching he back and quilting it. I am not sure if Sarah's
new baby(we found out today it is a girl) will get this quilt
or if I will make her a more specific one. The clock is ticking
on that decision.

Close up of the unfinished quilt

When we found out Sarah was pregnant with Liam, I went
to work on a quilt. I began cross stitching within weeks. I
worked all through the fall and winter on that thing. I can
remember watching American Idol and stitching. I also remember
Sarah calling and saying,"what are you doing?" and I would say
"nothing". I surprised her with the quilt just a couple of weeks
before Liam was born. She has it hung on his bedroom wall.

I like doing handwork like that. It is soothing in a way.

1 comment:

Carolina girl said...

Wow! They are all beautiful Donna!