Thursday, August 26, 2010

Take me there.......................


When Randy and I went to Alaska two years ago, he took the above picture of me. When we first talked of going on a cruise, I pictured myself doing just that. We were in Glacier Bay. It was cold. I am wearing my coat, gloves, a blanket, and if you look closely there is a cup of hot chocolate next to me. I had several cups a day. I would lay back and just watch the scenery go by. It was like looking at a painting or a jig saw puzzle. I really felt at peace.

Reality check....I am back at work. I have 30 students. I am on my feet all day and wearing shoes(comfortable shoes, but still shoes). The first couple of week are exhausting. I come home and collapse every day. There are evenings that I imagine myself back on that boat with my cup of hot chocolate.

Good news....a fifth 5th grade teacher was hired today. I will only have 24 students on Monday. We have not had enough books for the current number of students so it has been a week of trying to make a routine out of no routine. Also, we were 99% sure we were getting the new teacher, so we did not want to move too far ahead. The extra books arrived today, so Monday we will hit them hard. The next obstacle is stopping all the chattering these 5th graders want to do.

Still I know there will be days when I wish I were back on the Coral Princess floating my cares away.

2 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Thanks for sharing and I hear that it is wonderful and I can't wait. I also loved the quilt story. Did you know that I quilted too? We need to get together. We keep saying that but we really need to.

Susan said...

You looked happy in that deck chair...glad it was beautiful to make up for the cold.

And good luck with your smaller (but still full) class!!