Friday, September 16, 2011

The Journey Continues


After I did not get to go on the one way road, I went to the
Cherokee Entrance to Smoky Mountain Nation Park. They
have a great living museum there. There are old buildings
and even some farm animals. I walked around the grounds,
visited the center and gift shop inside. I love to read local
stories, so I bought a book called, Tall Woman. It is a tale
of life there in the mountains. I enjoyed it.

When I left the park center, I traveled back to Maggie Valley,
where I was staying. I did a little shopping, mainly just looking.
I did buy a dress at one of those glorious "junk" shops. I will
post pictures later. I also had a Bluebell coconut shake at an
ice cream store.

Those straight rows would drive me nuts. I have my
classroom set up in groups.

I love to visit old school houses. I already been to one there
in Smoky Mountain National Park when I was up there
last November. I found out about this one in my research
of the park. It is in Chatalooche Valley. This area is where
they have re introduced elk. That is another reason I went
there. It was raining when I got to the valley where the
elk were. I have seen elk in Colorado, so I did not feel
impressed to sit in the rain and look at elk. There were plenty,
and the drive to that valley was gorgeous. After I left the
elk, I stopped by the Beech Grove school. As you can see
by the sign, it was built in 1903.

It was raining, so I put a garbage bag over me, took off my
shoes, and plodded through the soggy grass to the school.

The teacher's desk at the front of the room. As messy as
I keep my desk, this would not have worked for me.

This a church just up the road from the school.
I believe it was built around the same time as
the school.

This stream runs right outside the front door of the church.
I know they must have done their baptisms there.

This was one of the last scenes I saw that evening. It is so
beautiful and peaceful.

No comments: