Friday, August 12, 2011

Finish My Course With Joy

Acts 20:24 (King James Version)

24
But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Yesterday, Bible Baptist Church, hosted a lunch for all the employees of the schools in DeQuincy. I work at DeQuincy Elementary. Anyway, they prepared a wonderful chicken spaghetti lunch for us. It was waiting for us when we got there. They served all of us in a matter of minutes. This was our third day to sit through meetings, so lunch is the most exciting part of the day!

The food was blessed, and then we enjoyed the meal while some civic leaders of DeQuincy spoke to us. The mayor spoke and our school board member did as well. Both men reminded us that teaching was a calling(a statement I have always believed). Both men expressed the fact that we had the future leaders of the world in our classroom.

Next, the pastor of that church spoke. He talked of the Apostle Paul and then read the scripture I have quoted above. The wonderful thing about God's word is it gives us what we need at that time. What I got from his talk was this: Find the joy at the end of each day. Find the joy in every event in your life. When the day is done, find the joy.

In the past year, this is something that I have had to remind myself of daily, sometimes I had to remind myself of it by the minute. Find the joy. It is hot and dry outside......I don't have to mow as often. I am missing my children and grand children......Skyping is the next best thing to being there. Welcome to the future, with its "Jetson" video phones. I can't sleep or wake up super early......I got to see the day break with its silent beauty and I got to hear that still small voice that fills us with joy and wisdom. Finish my course with joy. At the end of each day, find the joy.

Getting back to the lunch at Bible Baptist yesterday, after the pastor spoke a group of young people performed for us. I guess you could call them a "praise" band. They sang a song that spoke of God's Grace. I think I even heard echoes of U2 in the music. They had us stand and the words to the song were on a screen. The message was pure: God's Grace abounds even during the mysteries of our lives.

After the song, the pastor asked us all to hold hands and join him in prayer. He even took prayer requests and mentioned these names in his prayer You know it is true....whenever 2 or more are gathered in his name.........I have no doubt we were all of one mind and one purpose. The Spirit swept through that baptist church, and I swear that I could not stop smiling on my way to the car. My steps were light. Three other teachers had ridden with me, and they all seem to have received Joy as well.

I am so grateful to that church who honored us as educators. I am grateful that they chose to remind us that we have a wonderful Teacher in our lives everyday. I know that this new school year will not go perfectly, but I am determined to find the joy at the end of the course.

No comments: