Saturday, August 13, 2011

Solo Sojourn

About 3 weeks ago, I decided to take a trip to the Great
Smokey Mountains. I really love mountains, and those
are more approachable than the Rockies. I researched
different places I wanted to see and do. I decided to
make North Carolina my focal point.

I took off on a Monday. I reserved a room in Ringgold,
Georgia. Ringgold is just a few miles from Chattanooga,
Tennessee. I enjoyed the drive there, going through
Mississippi and Alabama to get there. I went through
Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Every time I go through there
I always call it Satan's town because former LSU
coach Nick Saban coaches there. I am sorry that
a tornado tore up their town and killed so many people,
but I still hope Alabama loses.

I got to my motel about 10 that night. It had been a
long drive. I just wanted to go to bed. I opened up
the back of my car and could not find my
suitcase that I had so carefully packed the night
before. I had brought food, water, hiking boots, and
other needed supplies. My suitcase with clothes,
underwear, and toiletries was sitting by the
back door where I had left it. I set the
alarm on the house before I left. It beeps
as you are going out the door for you
only have so long to get out the door or
it will go off. It always puts me in
panic mode. I guess in my panic
I forgot the suitcase.

I was so tired that I just washed my
teeth with a washcloth and decided to
find a Walmart the next day. I did
have my GPS with me, so I got
to Walmart with no problem. In fact,
it was just 3 miles away. Now, all
I had was the clothes and flip flops I
was wearing. I bought a couple of
T-shirts and a pair of shorts. I got
a pack of underwear, toothbrush and
tooth paste, and a few other necessities.
I decided to just become a mountain
woman for the next several days.

I had scheduled a train ride in Bryson City,
North Carolina. I hit the road to get there
in time to ride the train. It was a 4 hour
round trip. The train goes through the
mountains to Dillsborough, North Carolina.

I have ridden many trains in several different
states. This one was great and I am glad I
did.

This stream went along our route many times.

What is a train ride without a tunnel?

The bad guy wearing a black hat. He robbed the train!

The Lone Ranger after he saved the day!



I found out while I was riding the train that the movie,
"The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones
was filmed along the train route. After they finished filming,
they just left the train/bus wreck there. Also, the movie, "My
Fellow Americans" with Jack Lemmon and James Garner
had scenes filmed on board the train I road.

This kind of shows how "real" movies can be.

This is the bus Harrison Ford was riding on when he "escaped".

All along the route there were many farms. It looked like
they were growing tomatoes, peas, and there were even some
that had nothing but flowers. There were acres of Zinnias.


I enjoyed the train and the peacefulness of the ride through
the mountainous woods. I looked forward to the next few
days exploring the area.

1 comment:

Carolina girl said...

Ohhh....so sorry about your suitcase. But thank goodness for the GPS and Walmart!