Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What's Going On........

Well, summer has arrived. It is hot. It is humid, but I am not teaching school. That is good. I am taking a class. It is through The Louisiana Endowment of the Arts and Humanities. I get 3 hours graduate credit. They paid for the class and materials at McNeese. Best of all.....I get a $1250 stipend when the class is completed. Of course I have a couple of papers to write and a weeks worth of lesson plans to turn in too, but we get a field trip to New Orleans too. We are going this Friday. We will have an academic tour given by a professor from Southeaster in Hammond. We will go to St.Louis Cemetery No. 1 where Marie Leveaux is buried, and then spend the rest of the day in the French Quarter going to various sites and museums. It will be hot. It will be humid, but it will be fun! We leave Lake Charles at 7 A.M. and leave NOLA at 7 P.M. to come back. It will be a full day!

At this point I must say that the name of the class is: Louisiana, A Multicultural Journey. So far(I have had 7 days of classes) we have visited cemeteries in Lake Charles, did the geneology of a person in the cemetery, read about Louisiana women, Creoles, blacks, and free people of color. Our state has such a colorful history. So many people are so larger than life.

Today, we went to the Jewish cemetery and the Jewish temple. I had never been to a Jewish temple. The people were super nice, and I learned that the Jewish community of Lake Charles played the vital role in the development of businesses of all sorts and the development of the arts in Lake Charles.

Here is a funny thing that happen when I was leaving the Jewish temple. I was crossing the street when I heard someone call my name. I look up, and there is my Mormon bishop mowing the lot across from the Jewish temple. He said,"What are you doing?". I laughed and told him about the class and assured him I was not converting. It was just a little surreal to come out of there, and the first person I see is my bishop. The Lord is everywhere!

I am having Internet problems at home. I am at a McDonalds now using wi fi to post this. To top it off, our land line is out of commission as well. Technology is great when it works, but the pits when it doesn't.

My watermelon garden is growing like wild fire. I have melons as big as pears right now. I am amazed by the daily growth. I will post pictures when I have more time.

2 comments:

Be A Saint said...

Have a great field trip, Donna! My brother in law is a history professor at Hammond! Harry Laver! That would be funny if it were him! Love your posts!

DonnaB said...

The professor's name was Howard. It was a fun trip. I learned a lot.