Sunday, July 11, 2010

NOLA

As some of you know I took a class this summer through the
Louisiana Endowment of the Arts. It was called, "Louisiana,
A Multi-Cultural Journey". We learned so much about the
history of our great state. One thing that enticed me to take
the class(and use up a whole month of my summer break) was
a field trip to New Orleans. The other enticement was a $1250
stipend! I also earned 3 hours graduate credit. Below are some
of the sights of NOLA. The city is so full of colorful history and
colorful weirdness. I decided to start with the weirdness.

If you are in Jackson Square, you are going to see a street
musician. Here is one I saw. His repertoire included "How
Great Thou Are", "Amazing Grace", "Itsy Bitsy Spider", and
the Sesame Street theme.

Of course I don't know why,but there was a guy with a pink
pig in Jackson Square.

A New Orleans staple, tap dancing little boys. I gave them
each a dollar.

This is not weird. It is one of the reasons I like New Orleans,
the great Mississippi River. I love to just sit and watch the water
go by and think about all the history that has traveled this river.
I also think of Randy's grandmother who told us that she and his
grandpa lived in New Orleans briefly. She said it was so lonely and the
whistles from the boats made it more so. She also gave a demonstration
of what the boat whistles sounded like. I will never forget her face and
the sound she made....on of my favorite MoMo Burns memories.

Next, I will post some of the history of that weird city on the great river.

No comments: