Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Colorado 2010....Towns

Recently, we were blessed to be able to spend a week in southwest
Colorado. Sarah, Greg, and Liam joined Randy and I there for a
week of relaxation and sigh seeing. I took many pictures of our
activities. I decided to start with the various towns we passed through.

This is Telluride, a very beautiful little town tucked in the
mountains. Like many towns in Colorado, it is a former
mining town turned tourist town. Telluride is ski resort
in the winter. It is also home to Tom Cruise and Oprah, to
name a couple of celebrities who have homes there. We have
passed through a couple of times, but never stayed. It is
also a very expensive and exclusive little town.


Ouray. It is also called "America's Switzerland" It is also
literally tucked in the mountains. It is a neat place to visit
for the day, and the drive from Silverton to there is
spectacular. Randy and I did it on the motorcycle last
year...memorable!

Silverton. I think this is my favorite little Colorado town
Again, tucked in the mountains, it is a very small town that
is the other end of the Durango/Silverton train ride. It is
full of little shops and restaurants. We have eaten at the
Brown Bear Cafe and the Handlebar Saloon. Both of these
eateries were built in the 1880's and are fun to just be
in. The food was pretty good too! For the second year
in a row, Randy and I watched 4th of July fireworks in this
little mountain town....glorious!

Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings....ancient city near Cortez.

I can not remember what little town this is. It was in
southeast Colorado. It was the first of 3 towns we went
through where we just missed their 4th of July parade. Just
like here at home, people were gathering up on the sidewalks
waiting for the parade. You can see the flags lining the
little town.

Raton, New Mexico....We stopped and got gas here the
second morning of our trip. They were having a hot air
balloon rally. When I decided to take pictures, I realized I
was not in the best spot, but I did manage to get some of the
balloons. If you look closely,you can spot 4 or 5.

No comments: