Saturday, July 31, 2010

Watermelons

I tried my hand at growing watermelons this summer. My
dad gave me 6 plants. I lost 2 of them, but 4 survived. I was
not really familiar with how they grow. I kept having to hoe
and prepare a bigger space. I was hoping to get at least one
melon. I have picked one and have 3 more on the way. I had
14 going at one time, but I think they got too much water
at one time and they sort of rotted.

Here is one before it was ready. Daddy told me it would
be ready 30 days after it was touching the ground or when
the stem(piggy tail) was brown.

Another view of the melon waiting to get ripe.

My first melon. Randy estimated it to weight about 25 pounds.

Although I followed Daddy's rule about when to pick, I was
still apprehensive about it being ready. When we cut into
it we could see it was nice and red and it smelled great!

Nice, sweet melon

I have to say it was one of the bests melons I have ever had!

I am thinking of growing some pumpkins for fall, but I better
get on it!

1 comment:

Carolina girl said...

That looks delicious! Watermelons are one of my favorite things about summer! :)