Friday, July 23, 2010

More Colorado.......Mesa Verde

To those of you who are not as historically inclined as I, then
bear with me as I share our trip to Mesa Verde. I love history
of any kind, so this place was a delight to me. I also teach
about this in 5th grade social studies, so I took lots of pictures
to make a power point for the students. We only went to
one of the cliff dwellings. There are several. This one did
not need a ranger guide. It is a little bit of a climb getting to
them,but well worth the effort. This one is called
Spruce House.

Mesa Verde is home to ancient Indian cliff dwellings. These
are located near Cortez, Colorado(southwest corner). I have
been here twice before(with my parents and with my kids).
What a treat to go with Liam, although he will not remember
it...all the more reason to go again.

A kiva...ceremonial room

All of this built on the side of a cliff with no modern
equipment.

When I called my parents during the trip, Daddy said,"Did
you see that old corn?"

The old corn...astounding, isn't it?

We all went inside of one of the kivas, including Liam. I
got this picture of Sarah coming out.

Sarah, Greg, and Liam...he loved to ride in the "pack pack".

Liam also liked to explore too. Remember this is a cliff
dwelling..notice the death grip Greg has on Liam.

I asked Randy to take my picture so my students could see
I was really there. If you have never heard of the cliff dwellings
or want to know more I could tell you or.....just Google.

No comments: